Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The New Food Challenge

They say that if you look at your expenses, it will tell you where your heart lies. Mine is with food.

Even when I try to make all of my meals at home, I still end up spending a lot of money on food due to multiple trips to the grocery store and miscellaneous purchases.

Rather than heading back to the grocery store, I've decided to see how far I can go on what I have. We were talking about one of my coworkers who will eat almost all of the food out of her pantry before she heads to the grocery store. So here's the plan: For the next 25 days, I'm only going to eat food that I already have on hand. That includes breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks and beverages.

Why 25 days? Well, I have seven of my very closest friends coming into town that weekend. Since I'm co-hosting, it's not likely that they'll be up for eating my toaster waffles.

There are a few exceptions. Namely, milk and eggs. Those are two musts that I don't currently have on hand.

So what do I have to start with? Quite a bit actually. Here's a quick rundown of what I've got:

Freezer:

  • waffles
  • cheese ravioli
  • chicken breasts
  • frozen lemonade
  • peas
  • corn
  • spinach
  • fudgesicles
  • chili
  • minestrone soup
  • 1 lean cuisine
  • 1 package mahi-mahi
  • tortillas
Fridge
  • wheat bread
  • yogurt
  • apple cider
  • parmesan cheese
  • diet Coke (limited supply)
  • beer (Miller Lite and Blue Moon seasonal)
  • butter and margarine
  • jelly
  • chocolate syrup
  • salad dressings (various)
  • BBQ sauce
  • chicken stock
  • lettuce (condition unknown)

Pantry:
  • pasta (spaghetti, rigatoni, angel hair, farfalle, macaroni, rotini)
  • garlic
  • onions (bag of small ones)
  • 3 sweet potatoes
  • 1 spaghetti squash
  • corn muffin mix
  • tea
  • honey
  • syrup
  • oils/vinegars
  • rice
  • tortilla chips
  • pretzels
  • crushed tomatoes
  • diced tomatoes
  • Special K
  • hot sauce
  • spices
  • chickpeas (1 can)
  • artichoke hearts
  • pancake mix
  • marshmallows
  • craisins
  • coffee (thank God)
  • cider mix
  • hot cocoa mix
  • cake mixes (carrot, devils food, spice, 
  • cream cheese frosting
  • pudding mix (cheesecake, pistachio)
  • beef bouillon cubes
  • instant mashed potatoes
  • oatmeal
  • popcorn (stovetop kind)
  • peanut butter
  • pasta sauce (2 jars)


I'm sure this inventory will be helpful each night. There are some obvious meals in there - noodles and pasta sauce, PB and J, the leftovers, breakfast foods. There is also a noticeable absence of protein sources other than some canned beans, peanut butter, and a few chicken breasts.  This may end up getting either pretty repetitive or creative towards the end (read: random).

What's going to be the hardest? Probably the Diet Coke. And the lack of variety. I'm anticipating lots of oatmeal and cereal. Plus eggs.

I started this off tonight, eating some noodles with butter/parmesan and some frozen peas. Plus one of the Diet Cokes. That might have been a mistake.

If you have any creative recipes with the above ingredients, send them my way!

Here goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment