Sunday, May 16, 2010

Getting Started

Perhaps it's best if I start with a little background. I'm a 27 year-old educator, and I've let my spending get a little out of control. For the past five years since finishing college, I haven't done a very good job of living within my means. And it's time for that to change. A year from now, I would love to have all of my credit cards paid off, and to hopefully make a dent in my car payments and get rid of the loan faster. I look forward to the day when all I have left is student loan payments, at least for awhile. Since I am also a student, my disposable income is even smaller right now. I'm ready to commit to living in a way that allows me to eliminate, rather than accumulate debt.

After reading several different sites about voluntary simplicity, downshifting, and taking financial control, as well as blogs of others who've given up spending for a year to cut down their debt, I've decided to give it a try. I'm excited for what the experience has to offer. It's not just about the money. I don't look at this as being deprived of all that I love, or "being poor." I'm hopeful that this experience will allow me to bring balance to my life, to focus on my relationships with family and friends, and to lead a richer life. I hope to reflect and take pleasure in the process.

For the next year (June 1, 2010 to May 30, 2011, I will be doing my best to make decisions and spend less based on the following:


NOTHING NEW
Excluding food, toiletries, and undergarments. Unless...A) I really need it, B) I can't find it used, and C) I can find it for $5 or less per piece new.
NOTHING FRIVOLOUS
If I can survive another year without it, I can't buy it.
If it is something that I NEED, I must buy it used, buy the generic form, or borrow it.
LESS EATING OUT
I can eat out once per week. I can also have one additional meal out per month for special occasions or get togethers.
OUTINGS/ENTERTAINMENT
I will do my best to keep outings or entertainment free. Outings and entertainment that cost money should be limited to a few times per month.

I'm hoping that the guidelines I've established will assist in building and strengthening relationships, versus impacting them negatively. I'm also hoping that the choices that I am making will help me to be less wasteful, and more sustainable. I'm not very good at living Green!

So that's the plan. I have a few weeks left to "prepare" - I'll be honest that I'm not really sure what that means. Perhaps a few more meals out than what I'll enjoy?  A few trips to Starbucks?

Here's to blogging about my journey, and the struggles and triumphs along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment