Tuesday, May 18, 2010

What Can You Do for Free?

One of the big things that I am thinking about as I begin my year-long spending freeze is what I can do for free. I'm certainly not going to sit around on my butt all year long! While I am still going to allow for some outings that cost money, I think that sometimes I forget about all of the things that I can do for free. Here's my starting list of ideas (Some of which I borrowed from here).

  1. Check out books from the public library. Already one of my favorite activities! Plus there are magazines and other things to read while there.
  2. Volunteer.
  3. Hang out at the swimming pool. I'm fortunate to have one of these at my apartment complex.
  4. Host a game night.
  5. Blog!
  6. Go on a bike ride. My bike tires may need some air first....
  7. Listen to Pandora
  8. Clean and organize - both things that need to happen more frequently. There are many summer projects ahead with this!
  9. Take a bath. 
  10. Start a book club
  11. Play with Bucky. My cat can certainly use more exercise.
  12. Cook! Okay, not exactly free, but a girl needs to eat.
  13. Craft or knit. Using items that I already have of course.
  14. Go to church.
  15. Take a nap. Usually much needed.
  16. Study! I'm going to have a lot of homework this year.
  17. Connect with friends. I can certainly put more time into calling, e-mailing, and hanging out with friends.
  18. Watching DVDs.
  19. Learn something. Openculture.com offers free lectures and classes on its site. As does the Online Educational Database and Academic Earth
  20. Skype.
  21. Go to the Zoo. Ours is free!
  22. Go to the Museums. Also free (at least on certain days/times)
  23. Go on a Brewery tour. Thank goodness for where I live!
  24. Bake. Cookies, cupcakes, brownies....I love them all.
  25. Have a picnic, dinner night, or potluck with friends.
  26. Clean out the closet and make a donation to charity.
  27. DIY Mani Pedi.
  28. Free concerts/movies during the summer.
  29. Check some items off of the To Do List.
  30. People watch.
  31. Geocaching.
  32. Attend a book reading.
  33. Watch Netflix Watch Instantly. Okay, this isn't free, but I'm not getting rid of it. Give a girl a break!
  34. Go to the park.
  35. Go sledding. (During the winter of course!)
  36. Get tickets for the free seats at the musical theater. 
  37. Attend Shakespeare in the Park - Hamlet this year!
  38. Visit the Botanical Gardens (free on Saturdays before noon)
  39. Visit the Science Center (free admission - parking costs something)
  40. Visit a historical site. 
This is just a starting point. I'm excited to see what else that I can come up with to add to the list, and of course, what I can check off! I'm interested to hear what additional suggestions others have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment