Monday, May 17, 2010

What Will I Miss Most

I've been thinking about what is going to be the hardest to give up. There are the obvious ones:

Coffee Shop Coffee. I love lattes, especially from Starbucks or another coffee shop. While this isn't totally ruled out on the list, it's certainly going to have to be cut down from an every day thing. And if I'm only allowed one meal out once a week, I don't think coffee is going to be at the top of the list.

Eating Out Every Day. This mainly comes out of laziness. I just don't put the time or the effort into packing my lunches ahead of time. On top of that, I often venture down for breakfast, or snacks too. This is going to have to change. Fortunately, most of the food places in my building close during the summer months when the students are gone, so it makes it necessary to plan ahead. If I can develop the habit during the summer, hopefully I can keep it through the school year. The reality is that food is gone in 20 minutes - it's such a temporary fix. And I would much rather spend my meals out with good company, rather than eating it all the time out of convenience.

Target Adventures. One of my favorite things to do on the weekend is to wander through Target. It's a bad habit. I'll go in for just a few things, and leave at least $100 poorer. Everything is just so shiny and new! I will still go to Target during the next year, but only for essentials like shampoo, batteries, etc.

New Clothes. I don't buy new clothes nearly that often. I really don't! I'll go months without buying anything. The problem is that when I do get around to going shopping, I tend to either buy a lot or I'll buy one really expensive thing. For example, yesterday I went to Target and saw that they had the t-shirts I liked. I bought 4 of them (in case they run out quickly and I wanted another one). When I wanted a new dress last fall, I couldn't get a reasonably priced one - I spent over $300 for one from J. Crew. I've worn it once. I think what I am going to miss is just the opportunity to buy if I wanted to. I also worry that I don't tend to take very good care of my clothes. I get a lot of stains, tears/holes, etc. Hopefully this will teach me to take better care of my things.

Fountain Soda. I'll say it again and again, fountain soda tastes better than soda in a can or a bottle. It does. I drink a lot of it. And since I can't really get a fountain soda machine for my apartment, I'm going to have to get used to drinking less of it. My plan is to get a case of Diet Coke during my grocery trips so that I can take some to work for throughout the day.

Gummi Bears. Yes, I said it, gummi bears. They are my weakness. I venture to Walgreen's frequently to get them. While they aren't off-limits per say, I'm going to have to cut back. Sad day for me and the bears.

While this is going to be hard, I don't have any regrets about moving forward. I'm sure there will be times that I give in to the temptations. But this is going to be a good thing.
This will definitely be an adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment