I've posted all of my debts on the inside of my front door so that I see them every time that I leave the apartment. I'm happy to say that as of August 1, I will have two cards that are debt free. The other three still have a lot of work to do, but I'm utilizing the debt snowball plan from Dave Ramsey. He suggests that by paying off the smallest debts first, you start to see the results and build momentum, thereby motivating you and keeping you on track towards paying off the other debts. I do have the $1000 emergency fund, which is important to start with.
I really need to stop using my credit cards completely. That's the obvious first step. I'm struggling with this one, especially knowing that I need to buy glasses this weekend. However, I'm going to tap into my savings, as they are an important purchase. That's obviously a better choice than adding to the interest I'm being charged.
I also recognize that I still have two years of car payments, plus a whole lot of student loans. Debt is just so awful.
Good night, $3,000 seems like a lot. Do you make that much. I think you should just cut up all your cards; have you done that?
ReplyDeleteI haven't cut the cards, but have stopped carrying them with me so that I don't use them for impulse purchases. I don't know what's keeping me from cutting them, to be honest.
ReplyDelete