When I started this plan to cut my spending, one of my focuses was on finding free or very cheap outings. Unfortunately, movies are neither free nor cheap. I have found that even the matinees now cost at least $6. I remember when that was the price for a Friday night movie. Now an evening ticket is more likely to be between $8-10. And movie snacks....those often cost even more than a ticket. I've been going to the movies at the mall, where you can get a small popcorn and kid-sized drink for $5.50. It does come with a free refill (although I don't usually want to miss part of the movie). So I can get to the movies and get treats for roughly $11.50 plus tax.
Six movies later, and I'm recognizing that this wasn't the cheapest way to spend my summer. The thing is though, it's something that Chris and I really enjoy doing together. And since he tends to visit when I have "crappy" Netflix movies at home and since neither of us have cable, we tend to head out to the theater. Should we choose other entertainment? Perhaps. Now that the summer movie season is over, it will likely be easier to cut back - at least until Harry Potter comes out.
So how am I doing on other free outing/entertainment options? Well:
- We went to the free Post Secret Exhibit in Indy last weekend.
- I've spent a few weekends out at the swimming pool.
- I've made many trips to the Public Library
- I went to see the Sound of Music at the Muny with a friend.
As summer comes to an end, there is less time for fun and outings. I'll continue to try for free ones where I can.
No comments:
Post a Comment