Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Spending Update - 8/17

Another day without any spending. Two in a row!

I am proud to say that I packed and/or made all of my meals today. And I managed to avoid going out and spending more during the moments when I was craving a treat.

More importantly, I had some really great conversations today, specifically around money and what I am trying to do. While talking with a few my coworkers, I explained that I've been living beyond my means, spending more than what my paycheck allows for after all of the bills are paid. I admitted that as of today, I only have $24 left in my checking account for the month, and how awful that feels. We talked about how challenging it is to get rid of those credit card payments, and how good it would feel to be debt free. One of my coworkers and good friends worked really hard and eliminated her credit card debt a few years ago, and just recently finished her car payments. She talked about how good it feels to only have her mortgage payment to worry about from month to month. I can't wait to get to that point. The conversations at work helped validate my efforts, especially when one of my coworkers asked about what books I'd been reading.

I also had to have a conversation with a friend about an upcoming girls' weekend that we are planning. I have been really excited to go to Chicago in October with my friends, but I've also been really nervous to tell them that I can't afford some of the activities that are being suggested. I want to be able to participate, but I also will need to be realistic about what I can really afford to spend. My friend was really supportive, and agreed that she was trying to be fiscally responsible right now too, since she and her husband are looking to buy a house. We planned that rather than do an overnight trip, I will drive to her house that Friday and stay there. We will head up to Chicago for the day to meet our other friend, and find more affordable things to do, like the free museums and stuff. And then we'll head back to her house that night. My main costs would be gas and perhaps a meal or two. Without the cost of a hotel, this seems much more doable.

No comments:

Post a Comment