Well I am back from a weekend in Indiana, and need to check in.
How'd I do during the trip? Well, I managed to get there and back only purchasing one tank of gas (good), and limited food purchases while on the road as best I could. My first stop at Mickey D's and I only spent $3.19. Limiting my portions, I got a cheeseburger, small fries and a small drink for just over $3. That was definitely a filling meal, which makes me sad when I think about all of those times that I down a ten-piece nugget meal. On my way back, I wasn't very hungry since I left after lunch (good call), and only got a soda and cookies as a snack, for about $2. Still spending, but much better than I've done in the past.
What did I spend while there? Well, on Friday when I arrived, we met a few friends out. Chris was nice enough to pick up a few beers that night (I definitely owe him). On Saturday, we headed over to the Indianapolis Museum of Contemporary Art, which just happens to be free (yes!). They had an exhibit of all of the PostSecret postcards from the most recent book. Totally awesome, and affordable.
Our second stop was less affordable. A lot less. We headed over to the Indiana State Fair, where we spent $16 for admission for two (Chris covered this), and then managed to go a little overboard on the food: two steak sandwiches, two sodas, fries, fried green beans, fried Oreos, and a lemon shake up. I left with a very expensive stomachache. I spent somewhere around $30.
That night we ordered Chinese (how we were hungry again, I don't know). Chris generously paid. We decided to stay in and watch Invictus via Netflix, which was really good.
Today, we headed to Kohl's to take advantage of some major sales and a bonus coupon. I am proud to say that I didn't get anything for myself, and that our focus was on new work clothes for Chris. I was just fine helping him shop, and didn't feel the urge to buy anything, even though it was affordable. He did make out really well though - a suit coat, pants and two shirts for less than half of the full price. He saved more than he spent! Rather than eat out again, we headed back and ate the leftover Chinese. At least we got two meals out of it, right?
I did have a spending run tonight when I got back into town. I needed a few things from Walgreens, and ended up leaving $54 poorer. Most of my purchases were needs: cockroach traps (don't ask), facial cleanser, mascara, and Drano. There were a few extraneous items that did make their way into my basket (ahem, gummi bears). I also spent the evening renewing my license plates online. $25 for 2010/2011. The convenience fee was totally worth avoiding the DMV though...I've ended up in tears two out of the last three visits.
Now over two months into this, areas in which I am doing well:
Nothing New and Nothing Frivolous. I'm actually doing a fairly good job of not spending money on clothes or other items, minus the snag with the DMB poster. I'm going to justify the glasses as a needed expense. Going another year with scratched up glasses wasn't going to be safe/healthy.
Areas in which I am doing poorly:
Less Eating Out and Outings/Entertainment. The eating out has just been a struggle. It's time to hop back on the wagon. The entertainment has been hit or miss. I've managed to find some great free things (The Muny, the museum in Indy), but I've also blown a lot of money upgrading concert tickets and on seeing movies.
I also need to continue to track my spending regularly. Look for more posts ahead.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment