Friday, June 4, 2010

Inclusion

I ran into an interesting new challenge yesterday, or rather, my friends did. When it came time for a lunch, a group of my colleagues decided to order Chinese. While trying to support me in my journey, they didn't want me to feel left out, and yet they also didn't want me to feel pressured to spend money because they were. So they decided not to ask me at all, since they knew I wouldn't want to spend money.

I didn't mind this and appreciate that they were thinking of me, but then found that it created some tension when the food arrived and they weren't sure what to say or do since I didn't know about the order. I would have been comfortable declining when they offered, or letting them know that they are welcome to ask or not, it's not a huge deal. One friend offered to let me have some of her food, which I politely declined. I had brought my own lunch, which I was more than happy to eat. Lunch was just slightly awkward.

And it makes me worry that there may be additional awkward situations again in the future. Especially on days when everyone wants to go out to eat. I reminded them that it's a choice that I have to make, each and every day. I don't want others to feel bad for making decisions different than my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment